Q: Why all the fuss about the so called "new" sprouting system??
A: It’s not a “new” system, many different type of sprouting systems has already been in use globally for decades. Our FEEDGROW system has only been improved, optimised and automated to give your animal the most nutritious FEEDGROW barley sprouts.
Q: How can I benefit from buying a FEEDGROW system?
A: The FEEDGROW system will do the following for you:
- You can increase your stock numbers eg. The FEEDGROWsystem can feed up to 300 sheep, or 60 cattle, or 30 horses per day !!!
- Increased weight gains eg. Lambs have an ADG of 250g/day and calves 1,6kg/day on the FEEDGROW
- Increased herd health, fertility & increased milk production.
- Improved meat quality thus a premium on your meat.
- You can sell when the market price is right due to your ample food reserves with the FEEDGROW
- The FEEDGROWsystem will sustain you through the worst drought and keep you in full livestock production, providing fresh green barley sprouts available daily, 365 days of the year regardless of the prevailing climate conditions in your area.
- No large land is required with pivots or irrigation systems, pumps, huge electricity bills, tractors and implements with high diesel consumption, high maintenance and fertilizer costs etc. “farm in a box” with the FEEDGROWsystem
- Only one labourer required which means labour costs are minimised.
- You can speculate with livestock eg. Gestated/pregnant old ewes which provide you with an income on the ewe, lamb and wool growth, all this is made possible due to the high nutritional value and soft palatability of the barley sprouts.
- By introducing the new lambs to the FEEDGROW barley sprouts as a starter feed at an early stage, the lambs can now be weaned earlier and the ewes re-introduced to the rams also at an earlier stage. (production increase)
Q: What is FEEDGROW?
A: FEEDGROW is an improved, optimised, automated and controlled sprouting chamber in which barley sprouts are produced for livestock feed.
Q: How does your FEEDGROW system work ?
A: Barley seeds are spread into trays and these seed trays are then watered at predetermined intervals with sprinklers whilst a set temperature is maintained inside the chamber to germinate and grow very nutritious barley sprouts.
Q: How do I operate this FEEDGROW system?
A: The FEEDGROW system is very user friendly, requiring only one labourer (low labour costs) you just slide the tray out of the chamber, remove the sprouts and feed it to your animals. You then rinse the tray, reseed the tray and push it back into the chamber at the seeding end of the chamber. The FEEDGROW system will then automatically water the seeds and the sprouts at pre-set intervals and maintain a preset but constant temperature during the sprouting cycle inside the chamber regardless of climate conditions. (very hot summers or extremely cold winter seasons)
Q: Why do you only use barley seed in your system?
A: Several trials have proven that barley seed has the highest nutritional value to growth ratio of all green fodder in a six to seven day cycle
Q: Can I use any fertilizers to improve or speed up the process?
A : No! Absolutely not! The FEEDGROW system has been designed to operate organically hygienically, without any chemicals and or fertilizers. It is a dirt free, hygienic and chemical free system! (If any chemical and or fertilizers were to be introduced into the FEEDGROW system it will and can result in poisoning of the animals)
Q: Which part of the sprout do the animals eat?
A: The animals consume the whole sprouted barley, including the root mass and the few left over un-germinated seeds resulting in absolutely no feed wastage.
Q: How long does the barley sprouts take from seed to feed?
A: The barley seeds usually takes six to seven days to grow from seed to nutritious feed in a managed & maintained chamber.
Q: What types of animals can eat this FEEDGROW barley sprouts?
A: Animals like: sheep, cattle, goats, horses, pigs, chickens as well as most game species can be fed on FEEDGROW barley sprouts. As opposed to Lucerne grazing there is no limitations on certain species due to bloating and toxins.
Q: What is the nutritional values of the sprouts?
A: Various agriculture institutions and universities in South Africa and abroad has tested the sprouts and the results may vary from institution to institution due to the different cultivars, variant seeds, systems and methods that are being used in the market. The general conclusion and result is that barley sprouts have a high metabolic energy and protein content. Barley sprouts has high levels of vitamins and minerals and a further advantage is that it changes hard to digest starches to easily digested proteins.
Q: Can I feed my animals only on FEEDGROW barley sprouts?
A: No, the animals must be fed ad lib dry matter eg. Crop rests from wheat, maize etc.
Q: What is the availability of barley seeds?
A: Various co-ops and grain traders as well as independent farmers throughout South Africa stock the seed in various volumes.
Q: What’s the price per kg of the barley seeds?
A: The price varies between institutions from R2000 / ton to R3000 / ton currently in the market.
Q: Can the FEEDGROW system be financed or do I buy it cash only?
A: Yes, various financial institutions and the major financial houses are willing to finance the FEEDGROW system depending on each individual’s circumstances – please note terms and conditions apply at every financial institution.
Q: What payment options do I have ?
A: Two main options can be arranged:
Finance via a financial institution of your choice with typical agricultural asset finance terms:
- 30 % deposit.
- R 4500.00 per month over 48 months. (depending on each individual’s circumstances)
- Upon approval by the financial institution and full payment received, FEEDGROW will contact the customer for delivery within 30 days.
Deal direct with FEEDGROW:
- On ordering the system, the customer will pay FEEDGROW a 70% deposit of the total purchase price inclusive of VAT. FEEDGROW will then notify the customer within 30 days that the system is ready for delivery to the customer’s property and the customer will then pay
- FEEDGROW the remaining 30% balance of the purchase price, whereafter delivery will commence.
Q: What is the electrical requirements for the FEEDGROW system?
For the single-phase unit, a 30 amp single pole breaker with a minimum cable thickness of 4mm² (depending on the length = voltage drop) two core and earth are recommended with a double pole weather proof isolator or plug at the unit. The customer must pre-arrange with a qualified electrician to do this part of the installation. FEEDGROW will then do the interconnection between the isolator or plug and the FEEDGROW system, where after FEEDGROW will do the switching and commissioning of the system.
For the three-phase unit, a 30 amp triple pole breaker with a minimum cable thickness of 4mm² (depending on the length = voltage drop) three core and earth are recommended with a triple pole weather proof isolator or plug at the unit. The customer must pre-arrange with a qualified electrician to do this part of the installation. FEEDGROW will then do the interconnection between the isolator or plug and the FEEDGROW system, where after FEEDGROW will do the switching and commissioning of the system.
Q: What is the electrical consumption of the system?
A: The unit consumes a low average of about R38 per day which means R 1178 per month (31 day cycle) depending on what you pay per kilowatt unit in your region. (Eskom or municipal rates). Please refer to the production calculator on our website where you can see for yourself that the electrical power consumption has very little effect on the production price per kg.
Q: What is the water consumption of this system?
A: The system has a very low consumption of about 2000 litres per day of which a large percentage can be recycled either back into the system or given to the animals as drinking water due to the fact that the water now contains nutrients resulting from the sprout cycle which in turn is also beneficial to the animals.
Q: Can I build such a unit myself?
A: Structural wise we believe that any one can build such a unit and unfortunately there are individuals out there trying to build these units and they are unsuccessful in their efforts resulting in huge negativity in the market regarding these sprouting units because it isn’t just a container with an air-conditioning unit as most people might think. Several modifications and additional components are incorporated in manufacturing these units and to achieve successful results. Also, these additional components aren’t just obtainable over the counter and is a huge contributing factor to the price of these sprouting units.